Brick Piers and Steel Posts
Adept specialises in both brick pier foundation repairs and cracked brick wall repairs for residential buildings in Sydney and the Central Coast. A lot of buildings are built on brick piers with shallow brick foundations that support the structure, load bearing walls and roofs, but over time these brick piers can degrade, shift, sink or crack, resulting in severe structural problems normally caused by stormwater runoff penetrating your subfloor area - see ADEPT DRAINAGE SOLUTIONS
The first signs that you need brick piers or steel posts repaired is when you see cracks in the walls and cornices, unlevel or sinking floors, gaps under skirting boards and around window and door frames, or doors jamming; all of these signs can be due to problems with movement in the foundations.
- Brick piers on concrete pads do not support brick walls they support timber walls and floors only
- Brick pier replacement on new concrete pads are recommended up to a height of approximately 1.5 metres high or higher if and as required
- Steel posts on new concrete pads are recommended for support higher than 1.5 metres high this will reduce labour costs
- However steel posts can be used in all situations if required
- Packing between existing brick piers and bearers can also be an option to level existing timber floors, walls and realign doors if and as required
- Replacing rusted or damaged steel posts or brick piers if and as required
- Relocation and placing extra piers or posts to give additional support to existing supporting piers and posts
At this point, it’s clear that you need the expertise of pier repair specialists to assess your foundations and decide on the best course of action. Whether this involves rebuilding the necessary brick piers or steel posts on concrete pads in key areas or a more extensive pier or posts replacement, it’s essential that this remedial work is performed as soon as possible to prevent the problem becoming worse.
Brick or steel piers?
Options for pier replacement include setting steel piers in concrete footings or rebuilding the brick piers on concrete pads. Our pier repairs focus on bricks and concrete, as these provide the best structural support for most buildings. The only reason you might opt for steel piers is if the piers are more than 1.5 metres high, this will reduce labour costs.
Jamming doors are not only frustrating, but can also be the first sign that something is wrong with the building’s foundations or piers. It is probably due to the natural expansion and contraction in the ground supporting foundations which occurs in humid or rainy conditions, or maybe because the hinges are out of alignment. However, one of the biggest causes of jamming doors is shifting foundations and broken or cracked piers.
Fixing cracks in walls can only be done when you have repaired the piers and any underlying issues caused by surface or sub surface drainage problems that led to the foundation problems in the first place. There’s no point in paying for a wall crack repair when it’s only going to happen again, if rectification works have not been completed.
Once rectification works have been completed we can then advise and recommend numerous rectification methods in relation to cracked plaster.
The Adept team services a vast area between the Central Coast and Sydney, including:
• Central Coast
• North & Upper North Shore
• Hills District
• Northern Beaches
• Greater Sydney & Metro Area
• Inner West
For more information on our brick pier foundation and cracked wall repair services, call our Expert house underpinning and foundation repair specialist in Sydney on 02 4363 2828 or shoot us an email.